Mission & History
We help our beneficiaries enhance the quality of their lives by—
- preserving their financial assets
- protecting their ability to receive public benefits (such as Medicaid and Supplemental Security Income), and
- providing personalized guidance on their financial expenditures
And we help their families gain peace of mind. We do this by—
- operating two kinds of Special Needs Pooled Trusts—to support beneficiaries’ long-term needs
- helping beneficiaries use their funds most effectively, and
- serving as a knowledgeable trustee to oversee disbursement of the trust’s resources
PLAN of MA and RI has a decades-long record of providing high-quality financial management—and an unrivaled tradition of delivering responsive and individualized service to beneficiaries. Today, we manage more than $50 million in trust funds held in over 900 beneficiary accounts—and have the largest pooled trust serving Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
Today’s organization has its roots in the MARC Trust, founded in the 1960’s by parents concerned about the well-being of their children with disabilities, particularly when the parents would no longer be able to care for them. In the 1990’s, MARC Trust used new federal law to begin offering Special Needs Pooled Trusts for people of all ages with mental health, developmental, and physical disabilities. In 2004, MARC Trust became a member of the National PLAN Alliance (“PLAN” is the acronym for Planned Lifetime Assistance Network)—and adopted the name PLAN of Massachusetts, Inc. And, in 2011, as its client base broadened, the organization became PLAN of Massachusetts and Rhode Island, Inc.
For more information about the National Plan Alliance, please visit: www.nationalplanalliance.org.